Question: What Is Pi Day? When Is It?
Answer: March 14 (03/14) is Pi Day, in honor of the number named pi. Pi is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter, which comes out to be 3.14159… (The calculation has been carried out past a trillion digits so far). Pi is an important mathematical constant, so a day was designated to honor it.
How to Celebrate Pi Day
There are lots of ways to honor the number pi:
- Eat pie or pizza. Watch for great Pi Day deals!
- Make Pi Day cookies. Yes, there are even cookie cutter shaped like pi.
- Watch movies with a math theme or the word “pi” in the title. Try “Life of Pi” or “Pi”.
- Wear a Pi Day t-shirt. Some great Pi Day-themed shirts are also funny, like chicken pot pi (with a chicken in a flower pot and the letter pi), Pi-rates (a swashbuckling pi, complete with eyepatch and cutlass), and Octo-pi (octopus + pi).
- Run a Pi Day marathon. You can go 3.14 kilometers or miles.
- Memorize as many digits of pi as you can.
- Since Pi is an irrational number, you could simply be irrational all day.
Learn More About Pi Day