Black snake fireworks are small, non-exploding fireworks that you ignite to push out a growing column of black ash. While you can buy these fireworks, they are easy to make using kitchen ingredients and a fuel.
- 4 teaspoons powdered or confectioner sugar (sucrose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol
- sand or dirt (optional)
Make Black Snake Fireworks
- Mix together the sugar and baking soda.
- Make a depression in sand or dirt, pour the mixture into the depression, and lightly cover it with a fine layer of sand. You could just use sugar and baking soda in a bowl, but it makes for a cool effect where the snake seems to push out of the ground!
- Dampen the soil and mixture with lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol.
- Light the fuel with a match or lighter. Once the sugar in the underlying mixture catches fire, the black snake will start to grow.
- The firework goes out on its own, but you can extinguish it with water or by covering it with dirt.